Sunday, May 15, 2011

Critique of the Novel

                Infinity, written by Sherrilyn Kenyon, is a novel that is a part of the Chronicles of Nick series.  Published in 2010 by St. Martin’s Griffin publishing company, the novel outlines the life of a teenager named Nick Gautier living in New Orleans, during a massive zombie attack on the city.
                One of the major positive things about the novel is that the storyline moves quickly; it never lingers in a spot too long, not allowing the reader to become bored with a situation.  Though situations move quickly, there is always enough explanation of events to prevent the reader from becoming lost.  Another positive point towards the book is the fact that Sherrilyn Kenyon’s writing style is very short and to the point, without drowning the reader with unneeded details.  This allows the novel to be a quick read, without having to skim the novel and miss something important.  For these reasons, I quite enjoyed the novel.  However, there could be a few things that could be viewed as negatives towards the novel.
                The first thing that could be noticed as a reader is the fact that the vocabulary is very basic; a twelve year old would have no problem reading this novel.  For some individuals this may be fine, however, at times I felt as though the novel was a little too easy.  I definitely could have chosen another novel that was directed more towards my reading level.  Another thing that I disliked about the novel was at times I would become confused when reading about dark hunters, something in another of Kenyon’s series.  Prior to this novel I had not read any of the Dark Hunter series, making certain situations in the novel hard to understand.  Due to the fact that Chronicles of Nick and Dark Hunter are two different series, I did not expect to see that connection within Infinity; I believed the series would be completely separate and different.  However, I still enjoyed the novel.
                Despite the few cons of reading Infinity, I would still recommend it to anyone that enjoys mystery or fantasy novels.  Anyone that has interest in mythical creatures or suspense novels I believe would also enjoy Infinity.


The Novel, Infinity.  (http://bryonnanobles.blogspot.com/2011/04/book-review-infinity-by-sherrilyn.html)

No comments:

Post a Comment